Friday, April 6, 2007

Pain Management...

Well tonight was a good and bad... Zachary had returned to his wonderful sense of humor and cracked a few jokes and seemed perfectly normal. We had marvelled through the day how little he complained of any pain seemingly off the morphine and not on any pain meds. We discovered that as the evening wore on that suddenly he was overwhelmed with sharp sudden pain from the feet. One moment he was fine and the next moment, around 8pm was absolutely beside himself with pain. After some frantic moments (it was my shift for evening as Deann went home to spend some time with Matthew) I managed to get from the nurse (my attempts again in Czech) that the morphine that he had been off since the early morning down in intensive care was due to run out of his system around 8pm or so and so she gave him a pain pill to offset the pain but it took a long agonizing hour to kick in. I never wanted to take pain on myself from my child more than that moment as his feet as he said felt like they were on fire. I am praying that as the pills wear off tonight that he can manage as we are not there with him at night. His room is directly across the nurses station and I have given him a beginners list of Czech words (for him and the nurse in English) to communicate. Never prayed so hard in my life. Blessings to all again for your support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jeff and Deann...it is so hard to read the words you write, God be with that dear little boy tonight that he will have pain relief. Our prayers are with you all for I am sure you are in much distress seeing him hurting.
love as always Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Zachary... Hope you will be feeling better soon. Lots of prayers are being heard by God for you. My little step granddaughter Katie age 7 does a lot of toe walking.Because of you I hope we can get some help for her if she needs it. Thanks to your Mom and Dad for sharing with us . Love and God Bless. Bev