Monday, April 7, 2014

Back in the Saddle Again


People may have thought I was strangely silent over the past two months and in some ways that was true.  I had a two month study sabbatical to work on my PhD dissertation so while I was incognito I was still around!  I have made some good progress and feel that I am on the right track as I examine the spiritual impact on the lives of Christian youth and their use of ICT (Information and Communication Technology)... i.e. internet, social media, smart phones etc etc.  The outcome should be revealing I hope.

I am climbing the mountain of email and getting ready to teach for a intensive week at the University of Bucharest in Romania my annual course in Faith Development and Youth.

Its great to be back.  My apologies for the radio silence.

Some recent prayer requests that you might consider:

The European Baptist Federation (EBF) and its Youth and Children Committee which I serve as Training Coordinator would request the following items.

Generally, across Europe, the Middle East and Central Asia the economy has taken a tremendous hit and its the younger generation (20 somethings) that are suffering to a higher degree with lack of employment in some cases as high as 80% (Spain).  After the freedom from the totalitarian regimes that held Europe in the grip of the Cold War there was tremendous optimism and economic growth for many nations.  Post 2008 those dreams have been dashed and the materialism and the secularism has taken its toll on the young.

Pray for those who minister in this milieu of despair and apathy.  Atheism and agnostics are at an all time high across Europe.  While Eastern Europe is surging ahead there are issues that are being felt even know in Ukraine and its surrounding areas with the new sabre rattling of Russia.  In the Middle East we are experiencing unprecedented struggles with civil war in Syria, migration of Syrian refugees across numerous countries, one million alone in Lebanon.  Iraq is still in constant struggle.Egypt is experiencing its turmoil as well.  Our Arabic Baptist brothers and sisters in Palestine are also continuing to minister in an atmosphere of suspicion and suppression.  Some of the most dedicated youth leaders I know are in the Middle East.  These are all countries with youth programs and leaders who are trying to minister with believers in an atmosphere of intolerance and growing danger.  

Central Asia has several countries where our believers are worshipping underground.  Pray for the youth as they are the ones that are vulnerable to discrimination and in some cases imprisonment.  Several of these countries that we work with are being represented by our Relgious and Human Rights EBF leadership.  

Specifically:  

*  Pray for Ukraine as it deals with the conflict with Russia.  Ukraine has our largest number of Baptist youth and churches in the EBF family.  
*  Pray for Russian Baptists that they will not be caught up in the neo-nationalism of President Putin and that they will be agents of reconciliation.  The young are easily influenced in political matters.
*  Pray for Norway and several countries that are dealing with immigration of many 1000's of Burmese refugees and several other nations.  Migration across the EU inside externally is a huge concern and integration or working cooperatively with immigrant Baptist churches is a huge concern.  In some cases the new immigrant churches outnumber the national churches. 
*  Pray for the Czech Republic where we live as it deals with attempts at unity and moving forward in a incredibly atheistic society, where an entire generation of young people has grown up without the church.  This is rampant across Europe.
*  Pray for our brothers and sisters in the Middle East especially in Syria for assistance and for peace.  Egyptian Baptists also is facing incredible challenges.  
*  Pray for youth in Spain that are facing the worst economic uncertainty of all our EBF nations with 80% unemployment among young adults.   Once a proud and strong nation Spain is threatening to implode politically.

No comments: