Friday, February 17, 2012

The cold persists

Even though the temperatures have started to moderate... its been a brutal winter for Europe.  In the past two days there have been massive car accidents on some motorways...  over 100 cars were in an accident the day before yesterday.  Yesterday five transport trucks ended up in a twisted mess with some cars with over 30 people needing to be freed from the wreckage.  People drive fast here and often too fast for the conditions which are changing rapidly from thawing to freezing.

Unfortunately, I am planning a journey to speak in Slovakia where I would have to drive on those same roads next week.  I have decided that the 7 hours of driving might be better served by taking the train where I can just relax and work and let someone else worry about the driving.  The youth conference in Slovakia will be to over 400 youth and its the first time I have been invited to be a part of a youth event in Slovakia.  I have been asked to speak to youth on understanding their peers.  Shortly after that on the next weekend I'll be doing mentor training for Horizons in Oslo and then I'll be speaking to a youth leaders conference the next day.

 The next month will be "travel" heavy and I'll be squeezing in my teaching at IBTS until I finish the course in mid March.  Our family is on school break next week so we may take one day and do a day trip.  We are in the process of finding a home for our beloved chocolate lab Goober after almost having him 5 years since he was a pup.  Our decision is largely based on the fact its too hard to find affordable care for the summer when we go on home assignment which was a problem last time.  The family is resigned to the fact but it does not make it easier as we may have to say good bye to him this weekend.  All in all though, things are going well on most fronts.

1 comment:

John and Jane Weiler said...

Praying for your safety and God's leading as you travel and speak.
Love and prayers to you all
Jane